Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Letter Home, Part III: Cultural Differences


     In my continuing series of Letters Home, I am happy to answer my friend, Nora's, inquiry about cultural differences.  Of course, we all know there are bound to be cultural differences, but what are they?  She asked, specifically, for those that really struck me when we first moved here.  There are no shortage of those.  I'll describe a couple here (with brief guest appearance by my husband). I find that my ability to adapt to these cultural gaps is startlingly simple and simultaneously a total pain in the ass.

     First, as I mentioned in my initial blog back in December: the smells in Rwanda are unique and extraordinarily different than anything I have ever smelled in North America or Europe.  Much of the scents here are dust, dirt, flora, fauna; but, there's that one element that screams of a huge cultural divide between Rwanda and the U.S.: the un-deodorized bodies.  Though we see deodorant for sale in all the major supermarkets, I don't think I've, yet, met anyone who uses it.  The human body, here in Rwanda, has a spicy scent that is, to my olfactory senses, slightly offensive, and there are certainly flavors.  
     The other day, two men came to fix our alarm, and as I whisked past them in my hallway, I suddenly had vivid images of Uganda in my mind.  Theirs was not the typical Rwandan body odor.  I have NO explanation for why this is.  But, I know the different scents.  The Ugandan scent is a bit lighter, more spicy.  The body odor of Rwanda has been, typically, more sickly sweet with an underlying, thick sense of earthiness that hits you, hard, at the back of your throat. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androstenone

     And, my body is not immune to this scent.  After working hard in the house or after going for a long walk in the hot sun, I smell of Rwanda, not Uganda.  Perhaps it's a combination of foods, body chemistry, biology and locale.  Perhaps it's just my imagination.  Either way, this cultural difference struck me the instant we landed and has yet to subside.  But, I'm getting used to it.

     That observation of a cultural difference may seem a little harsh to some of you.  I felt it was essential to share because I want so many of you to understand that some of the biggest cultural differences here (and everywhere I have lived) seem to be the smallest things.  I always rack my brain, trying to come up with the big, the bold, the wacky differences, and then I realize it's the small stuff.  It always is.
     On that note, and with a much more pleasurable cultural difference, are motos.  In Uganda, they are, so delightfully, named boda bodas.  I wish they called them that here, too, but, alas, they do not.  What are they, you ask?  Ahh, a very good question.  
     Let me tell you, first, that after I lived in Uganda in 2008 for a mere 3 and a half months, I pined, shrilly, for boda bodas when I returned to DC.  My life was so much easier in Kampala, so cheap, so reliable, so quick.  In D.C. I, instead, had to take Metro, or a bus, or my bike or a taxi.  
     Motos are, of course, motorcycles.  Taxi motorcycles.  And, the bonus in Rwanda, is that they are all registered with the government and each driver carries a helmet for his passenger.  The other bonus is that they only allow one passenger per bike (in Uganda, they pack 'em on there till someone falls off--then they know it's time to go).

A Ugandan Pile Up (photo courtesy of Google)


Ridin' in Rwanda (photo courtesy of Google)
    Yes, this is dangerous, but I wear the helmet every time.  And it is SO MUCH FUN!  I have been advised to get my own helmet that fits my head snuggly.  The best are made in the US with kevlar (by the Army, presumably?).  Regardless, I am careful and tell the driver to slow down when things feel like they are getting out of hand (drivers are usually very good with me).  In addition, I can walk to most of the places I need to get to (post office, grocery story, cafe, etc.).  But I defy any of you to try to reject this cultural difference when you get here.  Gosh, they're fun!   
     Finally, when I spoke to Mark to find out what cultural differences struck him, I found my husband slightly more reticent on the subject.  He was, however, succinct in his reply to my query: "I like how dignified and proud Rwandans often are. I very seldom hear a self-deprecating comment."  He went on to say that he doesn't often find he can even figure out what the cultural differences are in a country until he has been there for a very long time.  So, stay tuned: he'll probably have more to share in a year or two.  My two cents on his observation: people here are very proud and there is not a lot of irony.  I'm curious to see how that plays out with my slightly sarcastic sensibilities, in the long run.  I know this: I will likely never stop wearing deodorant, I will always pine for motos when we leave this country and I will adapt to this curious lack of irony--I promise.  Really.
     


     

15 comments:

  1. I agree with Evelyn though I'm not sure how I would fare without irony. When I began reading your description of scents, I vividly recalled a conversation I had with my friend last year regarding Ghana and anticipated cultural differences. She commented how large swaths of the world largely live outdoors in a manner that I could never understand with the US and Europe serving as my sole references. She further elaborated that there are minimal barriers between one and their environment and that the surrounding environs become enmeshed in your scent as a result.

    Regarding the motos: kickass! Though I had hoped that in their taxi-ing capacity a sidecar would be involved. If that had been the case, my ass would be getting on a plane to Kigali tomorrow so I could live out my dream of sidecar riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora! You, my Aunt Ev and my sis, Abby, all agree on the lack of irony. It can be quite refreshing. However, something that is interesting is learning to read the signs for lying in a foreign culture. They can be very different than the American cues for lying.

      And. my Aunt Gail, who hosted a Japanese student for 1 year, commented on how I really need to talk to Rwandans about THEIR perception of how WE smell, since we do really eat very differently and do not work with the land as closely as they do, as you note. I'm going to do some chatting with some Rwandan friends to see what they say. Stay tuned!

      If this were a nation of sidecar taxis, I would be in heaven. That is all ;)

      Delete
  2. juliet!

    I like this - keep em coming - good idea to link through facebook. Are you really there for year(s)? that's great- maybe I'll have time to come visit sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this Rob Adamski? Hullo!! How's life in NYC? You'd be more than welcome here as we're here for 2 years (till the beginning of 2014). We have a lovely guest room just for such occasions. Thanks for following my blog. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is response to the above blog, from my Aunt Gail:

    "When we had a Japanese foreign student live with us for a year we would talk about differences between our cultures. He didn't hesitate, much to our surprise, to tell us how we smelled different and it wasn't pleasant to Japanese olfactory senses. We were startled at first that he would make such a personal comment. But we discussed it. We told him that, of course, his odor was different, as well, and not what we were basically used to. We knew he ate little red meat (something we eat rarely now ourselves) and we did eat it, and he had lived mostly on a diet of veggies, rice and fish. There was a big difference in body odor, regardless of bathing habits. He, like us, bathed daily.

    I'd be curious to know, Juliet, if you asked a friend from Rwanda if you and Mark and other expats smell different/unpleasant to them. I'm sure it would be reciprocal because diet and environment do affect it, and make a big difference. Also our American obsession with daily showers, deodorant and perfumed/scented everything - detergents, shaving cream, soap, make-up etc. affect our ideas of acceptable. With your talents for narrative and your abilities as a media person, I'll bet you could get an interesting essay or paper out of this, especially with Rwandan input as well as foreigners who have been there a long time versus newbies. It is interesting to me, certainly. :-) But I'm old and I take at least one shower a day - two if I feel icky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Gail, I am replying to your email, asap! Thanks for the awesome, thought-provoking reply!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog, Juliet! I just realized you have it, so I'm going to have to find time to read the other entries...
    A Korean friend of mine was talking about the differences in body odor. He has lived in Korea, Canada, America, and Europe, so he crosses the cultural divides pretty well. He said that Koreans (at least, in Korea) smell like garlic to westerners, because of their diet - and that westerners, in turn, smell "yeasty".
    I have met several priests from different African countries (Nigeria, Uganda, etc.) who have come to America to study and/or work in parishes. Most of them seem to continue their cultural norm of not wearing deodorant. It takes some getting used to.
    Regarding the differences of scent, I think it also may have to do with differences in local microflora, since part of the smell comes from our little private bacterial zoo that we carry around with us, and which we acquire very early on...
    Who would have though we could have such an interesting discussion about b.o....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Juliet! I enjoyed your blog post. I find that in countries where resources are scarce, the ability to reinvent and maximize whats available is extraordinary! Thanks for sharing!

    Camille Cruse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating Juliet! Your and others discussion of diet is highly relevant as is Matthew's mentioning of microflora. Bathing habits and deodorant use certainly play a role. Cultural norms of bathing and masking do indeed vary. And personal habituation to aromas must figure into the equation as to why people from the same cultures tolerate their own compatriots, yet find outsiders offensive or unpalatable. What struck me was your "intuitive" ability to discern the Ugandan aroma from the that of a Rwandan. It's amazing how the brain has this capacity and it all occurs without conscious awareness. You just know! Again, fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always hope you're going to respond to my blogs, Ger. Your scientific acumen and insights are always so welcome! Thanks for the reply, as ever.

      Delete
  9. Some follow up: I spoke to my 20 year old friend, Gadi, the other day and asked him, point blank, "Do we [Americans] smell bad to you?" He was so polite and, at first, I thought he was telling me that we don't smell differently at all, but when I emphasized that we cover our smell with deodorant and cologne and that Rwandans really do not, he started to smile a bit more impishly. It turns out, with some prodding, he knows exactly who is coming, without even looking, just by smelling them coming his way. Europeans, Americans and Rwandans all smell very differently to him. Of course, in true Gadi fashion, he summed up by saying, "No, none of them offend me at all." Such a diplomat.

    ReplyDelete