Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Trailing Spouse



     I came to Rwanda to be with my husband, for the adventure and for the life experiences that would turn into great stories.  Because he is busy every day with work, my husband is “distracted” and does not feel the same swings of emotion I do as a result of being unemployed (well, that, and he does not have my unique body chemistry).  Since we first came here on November 27, 2011, I’ve done a lot.  Mark has done a lot.  A lot of what we have done has been together but a lot of what we have done has been separate.  He has his job and all that that entails.  I have a new house to get us settled in. I sat at home, waiting for the phone company, MTN, to come and install the internet.  It took them 5 days to complete the whole process, involving me having to run to three separate stores to get the equipment they would be installing!  When the internet was finally installed, it worked for 3 whole days and has never worked since.  I then had to sit at home for hours and days waiting, first, for the technicians from our alarm company to even show up (what a waste of over 48 hours!) and then, when they finally came, their projection of a 2-day job turned into two weeks.  I also have to stay home every Monday and Wednesday mornings till noon because that’s when our trash pick up comes.  

While the alarm technicians were working, we agreed to have day and night guards, just until the alarm was complete.  The day guard, Jean Marie, a sweet 20-year-old from west of Kigali, was well-intentioned but pushy.  He spoke minimal english, pretty good french and perfect kinyarwanda.  He always came to me to try to speak more english.  

Jean Marie, Our temporary guard

    Mark and I invested in a Kinyarwanda to English dictionary for him.  He expressed real gratitude and that made us both happy.  He was endearing but he sapped me of my energy.  Because it took the technicians so long to install the alarm, Jean Marie ended up coming every day for 2 weeks.  By the time his last days had arrived, he had implored both me and Mark to hire him as our gardner, guard, housekeeper, etc. every single day.  He told me, countless times, that he was going to quit his steady (yes, poorly paying, but paying, all the same) job to work for us!  We had made him no promises!  I made it abundantly clear, in both french and english, that we were NOT hiring him.  He should, under no conditions, quit his job in relation to us.  I even advised him that quitting a job with no other job waiting was rather ridiculous.  I explained that here, in Europe in the USA--all across the world--unemployment was high and voluntarily ending your job on the outside chance that some Muzungu (that means foreigner in East Africa) may hire you for a part time job was just not smart.  He finally understood and, in the end, took it graciously.  I can’t say that I wasn’t glad to see him go when the alarm installation was finally complete.

As a trailing spouse, it is my job (well, one of my jobs) to figure out what my passion is--what I want to be when I grow up.  Kwetu Film Institute never responded my offer to teach script writing and cinematography.  Normally, when I do not hear back from a place--a potential job--I give them about 5 days and then pester them periodically until I do hear back (or until I’m just way past the statute of limitations).  Well, when I got no reply after one week, then two, then three, I realized, more and more, that I had no interest in teaching filmmaking.  I’d rather be telling stories, not telling other people how to tell stories, and I have the luxury to do just that.
So, here were are, at the beginning of many tales.  In the coming days, weeks, months and years, I’ll be posting those stories here.  This trailing spouse aims to drop that moniker and do more than just sit at home waiting for people to show up.  This woman will be a spouse who does many things and tells many stories in this unique country that is Rwanda.  

5 comments:

  1. I liked reading your blog. I feel the same way about having mood swings and a bunch of female hormones that can sometimes be questioned by my working man. To my defence he doesn't understand the pressure of being unemployed and alone in a foreign country and on top of that being a woman.

    About people asking for work it's a bit frustrating. Every time I go to the market there is some boy asking me for work. All the time I'm thinking give me work!
    In the mean time I can read your stories, thanks.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your insight, Maria! I think we are very much on the same page. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I was single in Africa, and boy, did I get marriage proposals! That was AWKward, as it also sounds to have these job proposals... sounds like you're (and Maria, too)taking it the best you can, one situation at a time.
    I am greatly looking forward to hearing/reading your thoughts & stories as they progress, Mrs. Married Woman!! (I am still stopped at the way you casually mention, "my husband"! :-)
    I also read the latest blog on the genocide monuments, and can only imagine... in class today we were discussing the holocaust and how visiting the DC museum was so emotionally hard and draining. I, too, bawled, in the mere imagining of the horrors...and I am aware these sorts of things are happening in Syria and other locations even now...no words can cover the enormity of the evil which can prevail in our world.

    I send you my love, dear cousin, and am glad you are somehow able to blog and share your heart amidst the challenges and lack of home internet access.
    MaryBeth Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing that, MB! I can imagine how much you must have been proposed to ;) I had a few when I was in Uganda, but so far, thank goodness, none here. ;) And, I agree with you on the "no words" idea--it really is hard to articulate the gamut of emotions one feels when encountered with such horrors. It can become mind-numbing if we're over saturated, too. I look forward to sharing more details (and explaining how we solved the internet at home problem--we have it, again, with a different and more reliable service provider. Phew.) I am getting into the groove of blogging (sort of ;) ) and a blog that will be posted in the coming days is all about the work I have been starting to do. Very exciting. Can't wait to share! XO, J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor guy. But you did what you had to do. Having an alarm system installed would be more reliable and affordable than hiring a security guard. And it ensures that you're free from prying eyes of locals who might want to take advantage of your minimal knowledge of local customs in the area.

    Alarm Control Center

    ReplyDelete